Friday 18 December 2009

The Circle Is Complete (When Star Wars Got Good Again)

Look-it... I'm not going to labour the point here because EVERYONE else has already done it but I'm a child of the seventies and, in a Tiki free galaxy, far, far away, Star Wars was my LIFE!

Prior to getting somewhere in the world of (low brow) art, I think Star Wars was the whole basis of my relationship with my father. No joke.

So, when the most recent trilogy came to pass it was much like waiting to lose your virginity... Sixteen long years of waiting, partly excited, partly braced for crushing disappointment, only to be faced with a more perplexing emotion upon finally seeing/experiencing it.

Oh... So, is that it? Is THAT what all the fuss and anticipation was about? It was much better the way I imagined it...

Then came this...


And suddenly you remembered all of the reasons you fell in love with Star Wars... Of course, these fine little episodes are made by the same man who brought Samurai Jack into my life, so they were never going to be anything other than great. Plus, I do LOVE some quality animation.

But then, some time later, comes this:


At which point you just realise that EVERYONE in the world gets what makes Star Wars so good except for the guy who writes the films and directs them.

I would have extended the whole virginity thing out through the whole post but frankly... I just didn't see the point. Just go and watch some great animation and remember the movies that probably got you into visual design, hot rods and finks.

I've yet to spot a Tiki anywhere in the Saga but, fear not, I'll post when one turns up.

No comments:

Post a Comment